Monday 28 July 2014

FLUME- TERMINAL 5- NYC

Flume (Harley Streten) is known widely in Australia for his individual electronic music. He worked to become well know in AUS winning Best Male Artist and Producer of the Year at the Arias and many more. With tickets being at a huge $100+ for a concert of his, if you could even get tickets, to score $25 tickets to see Flume in NYC at a small theatre was a major deal. And we went twice! 

Flume was performing at Terminal 5 (an intimate sized theatre) in New York and it just so happened to coincide with the dates that my family and I were staying there. Flume was doing 3 shows while in NY and being australians and knowing how elite it is to be able to score tickets to him in Australia we knew we had to go twice. So we booked to go 2/3 nights and i'm so glad we did. 

The first night we went we were so pumped. We arrived at around 8:00pm which is when the doors opened and were not so happily greeted by an already massive lineup. We grumpily took our spots at the end of the line and soon went it. The moshpits are completely different in America compared to Australia! In Australia everyone crams together pushing to get as close to the front as they could. The moshpit in America was super chill, everyone being really friendly and not pushing, so it was pretty easy for Belle and I to squeeze around people and get a good spot. We weren't right at the front but it was better than we would ever get in AUS! 

After two not-so-good opening acts the beautiful Harley Streten finally walked on stage and the place went mental! He started off by playing 'Sleepless' which was a great start as everyone knew it and danced! It was seriously one of the best experiences ever. In the middle of one of the songs a confetti canon exploded and Harley said it was the first one he'd ever done! Towards the end of the show we left the sweaty moshpit to go to the bathroom and found a back staircase. When we had double checked there were no secutrity guards around we climbed the stairs (secretly hoping it led to backstage, or somewhere we could meet flume.) When we got to the top it was just the 21+ area but it had a really good view of the stage so we stayed there until the end! We hung around a bit once the show had ended because we wanted to meet Harley. Everyone had left except the VIP's who were in a non-accessible area of the theatre. We saw Flume come out after the show but he stayed in the VIP area which was disappointing. We left when we realised he wasn't going to come out and we felt silly to yell out like crazed fans to get him to come meet us. (Also there were very pushy guards who kept bugging us to leave :p)


The second night was so much better mainly due to the fact we learnt from our mistakes from previous night. We arrived at the venue 2 hours early so we could line up. There were a group of girls already waiting but they didn't know where to stand and we did so they had to stand behind us when the security guards put the barriers up :') So the venue is a bit confusing but basically you wait outside and then you get let in at around 7:00pm and you go to a courtyard area where you line up. Then the doors open and you go to the actual theatre venue at 8:00pm. 

So we're lining up for ages and the ladies finally came out to scan our tickets and let us in, by this time a small line had already queued behind Belle and I. I quickly got my ticket signed because i wanted to run to the courtyard to make sure I was first in line (I didn't want the people behind me getting infront!) The lady that was scanning Belle's ticket went off at Belle for having a handheld camera and told her she wasn't allowed to take it in! I told Belle to call Mum and get her to pick it up while I ran inside. I literally sprinted up the 4 fights of stairs to the courtyard in my little mini skirt and platform shoes, politely smiling at the security guards to make myself look a little more sane. 

When I arrived at the courtyard I was first in there and asked the security guard where to stand. The security guard really liked me so he showed me exactly where to stand and when everyone came in behind me he made them all lineup after me! I waited for maybe 30mins before Belle arrived all crazed because she thought she was late but soon settled as we sat down and kept waiting to go in. 

Soon enough it was 8:00pm and a security guard took us to the venue. When we arrived Belle and I ran our hearts out to the front and gave each other a look like "oh my goodness look at where we're standing." We were literally front and centre. We couldn't get any closer. We had the best spot in the whole venue. 

The opening acts the second night were way better than the first! I really liked the first dj who's name slips my mind, but he played some super cool tunes that were funky to dance to! The second act was GroupLink. A DJ and a rap artist. They were super crazy! At one point a featuring artist came on and did a massive stage dive right on top of me. They were spraying drinks everywhere. It was insane. 

Soon enough Flume came on and it was possibly the best night of my life. My new favourite song is Flume's remix of Major Lazers song 'Get Free.' Flume was incredible once again and I will never forget  what an amazing night it was. Afterwards we thought we would wait around to try and meet Flume again but he didn't come out for quite sometime so we ended up buying a tee shirt and heading home. 

When we arrived home my legs were aching, my head was pounding, and my ears were ringing. But boy oh boy was it worth it.




-K.

No comments:

Post a Comment